Once kids progress beyond early elementary school, they are expected to read independently for information in every subject. Reading is the key to learning - in school and for life.
Does your child need practice reading aloud?
Try Book Buddies with the Library.
Kids will be matched with teen volunteers and spend 25 minutes each week reading aloud, in-person, to teens at the Kisker Road Branch, Kathryn Linnemann Branch, or Middendorf-Kredell Branch (you must register for these sessions- walk-ins will not be accepted for these events).
We ask that you only sign up for one session.
Kisker Road Branch: Tuesdays, March 7 - 28, 2023
Kathryn Linnemann Branch: Wednesdays, March 8 - 29, 2023
Middendorf-Kredell Branch: Thursdays, March 9 - 30, 2023
*Caregivers will be required to remain at the library while their children are reading.
Teens aged 12-18 can apply to become a Teen Volunteer for the Book Buddies program!
Teen volunteers will be matched with a kid and spend a total of 60 minutes (split up into two 25-minute sessions) in-person at:
- Kisker Road Branch on Tuesdays (at 5:30 pm and 6:00 pm)
- Kathryn Linnemann Branch on Wednesdays (at 4:30 pm and 5:00 pm)
- Middendorf-Kredell Branch on Thursdays (at 6:00 pm and 6:30 pm)
Teens must attend training and commit to all weekly sessions for the entire 4-week period. Teens can earn up to 14 volunteer hour credits.
Applications must be submitted before February 21.
- Teen applicants that are chosen for a brief interview on Zoom will be contacted the week of February 21, 2023.
- Teen Training Sessions: If you are chosen to be a Book Buddies volunteer, you will be contacted via email and the training slides and quiz will be sent to you.